Thursday, March 09, 2006

Fat Acceptance

I found a new blog today it's called Big Fat Blog and it's for fat people... They say they have over 1500 members...From what i read there it's about being accepted for yourself not for your weight. To quote "Size is a simple description of our appearance, not who we are!"
...Being overweight for so many years I agree with this, I do agree that an obese person has the same rights as an average weight person...such as being able to fly on an airplane without being penalized..go for rides at a theme park,etc...but I don't agree that an overweight person should accept being overweight...
For too many years I kidded myself that it didn't matter that I was Obese..I gave a good show that it didn't matter to me that I was bigger than anyone in my family or any of my friends but ALWAYS in my mind I felt that I had less rights BECAUSE I couldn't control my weight. I used all of the excuses...you know them.."All I have to do is look at food and I gain", "I work hard so I deserve this treat" (one of my favorites)"I can't afford to go to a gym and workout", "My husband doesn't like healthy foods and I have to eat what he eats", "Healthy foods are too expensive" "I don't have time to exercise"...in fact what I was saying is "I'm not important enough to myself to get fit and healthy". I was a caretaker of everyone else but myself..and I was miserable for it...and thought I deserved to be miserable...
Now when I see Obese people, especially those that say they accept being fat, I just want to shake my head and say "You don't have to ACCEPT it, with work and time you can be what you really want to be, and believe me NO ONE wants to be FAT (it feels so good to be able to do the things I used to only dream about)...I think I still have respect for WHO they are and not What they are but just want them to TRULY feel good about themselves. I guess I'm like an ex-smoker..I want everyone to feel as good about themselves as I do about myself because I know I'm healthier now that I've lost over 60 pounds.

I know that I am still aways from my goal and to some I am STILL considered FAT...but I WILL NEVER AGAIN ACCEPT THAT I HAVE TO BE FAT....

No comments: