Thursday, March 23, 2006

Cafe La Vaca

My freind Kim from the gym, that I play racquetball with sometimes, wants to be a comedian so she has been doing these free gigs around town...I told her if she ever did one close by to let me know and I would come see her...Tuesday night she tells me that she got one at the Cafe La Vaca...only about 15 mins away from the gym and would be there on Wednesday night.
So last night I went to the gym, worked out, then cleaned up to go watch her...I figured since this was a "Cafe" I could maybe get something to eat....
This is how my night went....

First off I get there about 8:45 pm (the comedy acts were to start at 9 pm) and there is maybe 3 or 4 cars in the parking lot...I figured ok maybe people wait till 9 to come so I go on inside...first thing I see is a pool table with a couple of guys playing (one with a cigarette hanging out of his mouth) and one guy standing watching, then the bar with a man,a woman & a little girl about 6 years old with her puppy (cute but in a Cafe?) sitting at it, a bar maid behind, mexican music is being played..everyone in the place is Spanish/Mexican.
The place is divided in two..the first part of the room is the bar & pool table then past that you can see an area with a stage with tables & chairs below it around a dance floor..It's really is a nice place.
Anyhooo, I go up to the guy standing and ask him if there is a comedy act tonight...he says "SI". I then ask if they serve food..he agains says "SI...Mexican food". I figure there's got to be something on the menu I can eat, especially since I haven't eaten since Lunch...so I go to the bar and the guy says something to the barmaid and she gives me a menu...It's in Spanish!!!! I figure I can make out most of what's on it and settle for a quesadilla...hoping for a veggie one...I see one word that I don't know so I ask what it is...the barmaid, shakes her head, goes over to the couple that are on the other side of the bar, talks to them, then comes back to me and points to her tongue and says the word...OK, I'm not interested in eating a tongue quesadilla, so I ask her if there is anything NOT meat on the menu...she points to something on the menu ...I ask her, "isn't that chicken?" she says "SI, Chicken". Ok the last time I checked Chicken was MEAT..so much for eating...so I give her back the menu and ask for a glass of Zinfadel Wine...I saw it on the menu so know that they have it..she gives me this questionable look and I point to the menu and she nods and pulls out this bottle of wine...I smile and say "Yep, that's it" she grabs a 6 0z PLASTIC cup fills it about half way, puts a STRAW in it and gives it to me and says "Five Dollars Please"....I kid you not!!!! Well since I plan on only having one drink anyway I didn't argue...
Meanwhile people are finally coming into the place and going over to the stage area, the music has changed to rap..I'm comfortable with that because of my Hip Hop class..but then I begin to notice something here...all the people coming in are Black...Ok, My friend Kim (the reason I'm here) wallks in about that time...oh yeah, she's black also...we hug...and I walk over to this table with her of 4 Black women, Kim introduces me...I pull up a chair and join them.... The first comedian comes on, he makes the usual black jokes. I'm actually having a good time...Then he looks straight at our table (we are right out front of the stage) and says something about having Barbara Bush in the crowd tonight...I look around and realize I am the ONLY White person in the crowd....so he must mean me...The jokes go on about me, I'm ok with that because I think it's funny and am having a good time...Then he starts to ask everyone where they are from, most everyone is from New York...He looks at me and I'm thinking oh boy here it goes...I say Wyoming....Now you have to understand that here in Georgia most people don't even realize there is a state of Wyoming..Well this leads to more jokes and for the rest of the night I am known only as Wyoming...There were 2 other comedians before Kim and they all had their fun at my expense (I laughed so hard at one time I almost peed my pants). Kim was the last act and she only had 7 mins. I wish I could say she was funny...she was alright but you could tell by the crowd that she was a big let down...but what the heck, she's just starting and I think she will get better with time.. After she got off, I hugged everyone good bye, especially the first comedian Kenny...he said he thought I was great and hoped he didn't offend me...I said no way..if I had been offended I would have just got up and walked out...All in all, I did have a good time...TOO MUCH FUN..

1 comment:

Suzann said...

Hey, great story!! Thanks for your good wishes on my blog. I'll post some non snow pics while I'm in your neck of the woods. Take care.