Monday, January 30, 2006

Larry

Tommorow is Larry's birthday.
It's so hard for me to believe that if he was still here he would be 60 years old...I will always remember him as being young and so very alive... He was one of the most ALIVE persons I know...
Altho he was a quad and in a wheelchair since he was 18 years old, he never let it stop him from doing what he wanted... He held a job with the government for 21 years, drove his own vehicle, at one time even owned his own boat, he loved playing pool, went hunting, fishing & camping.
I used to love watching him dance in his chair, nodding his head to his favorite songs, Rock & Roll and in the last years he listened to Country...but his favorite singer was Aretha....Oh how we used to torture the Kid with her songs....especially first thing in the morning when she wanted to sleep...R E P E C T or Chain of Fools blasting on the stereo. Too much fun!!! One of my favorite pictures that I carried around with me for years was one of Lar & The Kid (when she was seven) dancing...the picture got all worn and torn so I took it out and put it in a safe place (which I can't remember where)..
He was one of the most spontaneous guys I know...you never knew what we would end up doing...It was nothing for him to wake up in the morning and decided to take a ride up in the mountains for the day....I really loved that about him....
He could make me laugh more than anyone I've known in my life and I miss him more than words can say...
I wrote the following in June of 2003 after Larry died...

If only I could hear you call me “My Love” one more time.
If only I could kneel at your feet and put my arms around you while you sit in your favorite chair one more time.
If only I could see that twinkle in your eye when you look at me one more time.
If only I could wake and find you beside me in our bed one more time.
I know that we had something special together and that “nothing last forever” as you use to say but
If only we could have just one more day together.
I have so many “If only”s that fill me with sorrow.
I remember sitting and looking at you in your hospital bed knowing that you wouldn’t be with me much longer.
I tried to memorize everything about you, to hold in my heart, hoping that it would last me the rest of my life without you.
The emptiness inside me tells me it wasn’t enough!
“If only” I didn’t miss you so much.

No comments: