Sunday, January 04, 2009

Shopping for Healthy foods on a budget

I've been gripping for over a year how it's too expensive to try to eat healthy. That to eat on my budget which is $35 a week for food I had to buy things I know aren't good for me...like cheap pizza that cause me heartburn, pretzels to snack on, bread, peanut butter & jelly....these are just a few things that I know are causing me problems but keep on eating them because I was convinced that's all I could afford....so tonight I took that $35 and I decided to see just what I could get for it at WalMart...I think I did pretty good...
MY LIST

a bag of baby spinach
1 bag ea of frozen peas, green beans and mixed vegetables (they didn't have the broccoli that I wanted) for soups
1 pkg of turkey smoked sausage (to add to my soups)
1 bag of 4 Frozen Tilapia Fillets
1 serving frozen Stouffers Veggie Lasagna (this is a treat for me when my stomach is better)
1 pkg (4 patties) Morning Star Veggie Garden Burgers (I use to love these things)
1 pkg veggie Swiss slices
1 pkg tofu
1 pkg Wasu Multigrain Crispbreads
1 pkg of Whole Wheat Noodles
1 pkg of dried cranberries (for my oatmeal in the morning)
2 cans of chicken broth (for that soup)
1 head of cabbage (great for soups, snacks, etc)
3 Avocados (I couldn't help it they were on sale and spread on a crispbread it makes a great snack)
3 Gala Apples (these cut up with some raw cabbage will work great for a snack before I go to the gym since I don't like to eat before working out but need something)
1 Zucchini squash (love to snack raw)
1 yellow Squash (snack again)
1 doz eggs (which put me over the $35 but I have this thing about eggs and I only had a couple left at the house)

All this came to an even $37 plus tax...not bad if you ask me...Call it guilt but I haven't looked forward to eating anything in a long time...but my mouth is actally salivating tonight. Looking back at my old blogs I see that I really enjoyed eating healthy..sure there's a lot I can't afford to buy that I used to but I think there is still lots of things I can do with what I do have in my cupboards and what I bought tonight to feed me healthy for at least (if not more) than a week...I was worried that I wouldn't have anything to snack on but I see I have all kinds of things here..
Back to my eating small meals (snack included) 5 times a day. The idea is not to let my stomach get empty or too full. I know it can be done because I did it for 3 years....
Feels good to be back.

No comments: