Thursday, January 08, 2009

How I love the gym!

For the past two years it's been hit or miss with me going to the gym except to play racquetball and even that has had it's down times...mostly I make excuses not to go...it's been so bad that a few times I drove to the gym and sat in my truck and read, then left without going inside....Then I'll have spurts where I go for a couple of weeks, work out half heartily (telling myself that I'm giving it my all) and then come home and vegetate...I think I got burned out on the gym when I worked there...at least that is what I tell myself...but the truth is the gym I go to isn't the one I worked at so I really can't use that as an excuse...
I almost had myself talked out of going last night..I started to listen to Moanin' Mona (MM) about how tired I was and to Evil Eva (EE) about how it's too far to drive and I would get home too late...and I would miss dinner....but since I had my bag already packed and in the truck and I also had the rest of the apple and cabbage from my earlier snack I decided to find out JUST how far it really was to the gym from where I park my truck and how long it would take me to get there...it took me 25 mins and it was 12 miles (remember this is during the rush hour) although it's further for me to drive home it still is not as bad as EE made it sound..
So I get to the gym, do my stretching, talk to another lady there who is stretching, she shows me another stretch for the hamstring that I hadn't tried before. Then I got on the treadmill and walked 1.5 miles for 25 mins...there was this nice guy running next to me and we talked for a while..he wanted to know where I've been...he said that he used to see me there ALL the time and then I stopped coming...told me people noticed...Whoooooo Scary... I also ran into a couple of friends that I haven't seen for a long time...I love gym rats...I want to be that gym rat again...teehehehhe...anyway I worked up a good sweat on the treadmill...it's hard starting over but I know I have to start...hopefully it won't take long to get back to where I was two years ago when I could run 3 miles in 30 mins...my breathing gave me some problems but nothing I couldn't get past..and I didn't cough at all until I got off the treadmill....then I did some bi's, tri's and chest weights...again met a couple of people that I use to see all the time....I was home by 8 pm....fixed me a spinach salad with one of the boiled eggs and a veggie burger with a slice of melted veggie Swiss on it.. which satisfied me...the I sat and watched the New Biggest Loser...these people make me look like a stick and they lost boo cooo weight in 1 week...I always did say that that show was SO unrealistic....I mean who could work that hard in the gym the first day for 6 hrs and still be able to move the next day...there's something wrong with this picture..I mean I think it's great that they lose weight and all but it kinda discourages me thinking that here I am with 50 lbs to lose which I figure will take me months to lose and they lose 30 lbs in one week (of course the guys that lost that weighed over 400 lbs).
I also went to the gym tonight to play racquetball, the other night I could only play 2 games, it was 3 tonight...As I was leaving ran into girlfriend that used to work out with (we also partied together a couple of times) so I had to catch up on all her new...she's now working out at the gym that I used to work at which is closer to home for her but is thinking about coming back to this gym because she misses all the old gang...It's great to have a support group....My arms are a little sore from last night but nothing that I can't live with...The plan is to go back tomorrow night and do legs and back...
Came home and fixed a light supper of noodles/sausage/onion/squash/zucchini/spinach with a splash of balsamic vinegar...it was delicious and I only fixed enough for one bowl so no left overs to tempt me...
I'm feeling pretty good about myself and am making some plans for how I want to go forward to making goals and reaching them...

No comments: