Saturday, January 03, 2009

Motivation for today

A quote from my Sparks Motivation email I receive everyday!
"Who is standing in your way?
Imagine someone regularly tying small weights around your ankles as you try to climb a mountain. Doesn't sound fair, does it?
But that's exactly what you can do to yourself, a little bit at a time, if you don't watch out. When you think of who and what is standing in the way of your dreams, it's easy to forget your own responsibility.
Even the best of us can be guilty of unknowingly hurting our own progress. Procrastination, lateness, being disorganized, pessimism, not being honest with yourself, severe self-criticism, downplaying achievements, focusing only on weaknesses while ignoring strengths, keeping goals a secret, demanding perfection, giving up after a small setback--these are all ways you can make it tough to be (and do) your best.
Smart systems, the right attitude, and a promise to keep going no matter what will make a world of difference. "

Yesterday as I was cleaning (deleting without reading) up my many emails I decided to actually look at some of the ones from a group an Internet friend suggested (Sparks People) and I joined in one of my positive moments in the past year that I was hoping to give me motivation (I let EE & MM convince me that it wasn't exactly what I was looking for but I kept it any just in case I needed it someday). I get about 3-4 motivational emails a day from them and I've been just deleting most of them without reading except the recipes for several reasons (MM & EE at work again telling me that they were a waste of time because I already know it all and did not pertain to me)...this is the same group that I found the GERD info on...so I decided to actually take the time to read a couple before I deleted them and found this one, it seemed to be written just for me ..

And as I read this I realize that I've been letting EE & MM add small weights to my ankles until I can hardly walk...and even though I've tried to kick one off for awhile I stand by and let them put it back on.
Each of the following are weights that I am going to kick off one at a time and work at keeping off from now on...I know it will be work. I've let EE & MM have their ways for way too long and I know that the "Sexy" part of me is stronger (when I let her) and that she (or I) can overcome all of actions that I have let control me for the past year.
Procrastination, I can't tell you how many times I have had opportunities to do things but have procrastinated until it was too late...even as recently as this past week with the ad for the part time job...this isn't a first time.
Being disorganized..if you could see my office and the garage you would know that this is so very true...I remember when I was very organized and felt in control...but I've been listening to MM & EE that it's too much work to change things...takes too much time and it's fine the way it is....
Pessimism. I've always said I was not a pessimist but I see now that is exactly what I've been lately...not trying because only bad things happen to me...get real ...I have so many good things in my life but the pessimism has been keeping me from seeing them.
Not being honest with yourself. this is has always been a problem for me..it's amazing how much I will listen and believe all the lies my inner selves will tell me..
Focusing on weakness and while ignoring strengths ..this is a big one since all I have been thinking about is how I fail in everything and can't do anything...which leads to
Severe self -criticism...I know I am my worst critic.
Keeping goals a secret. Not being honest with myself I think if I don't tell anyone my goals then I can't fail again in them....
and last but not least
Giving up after a set back. This is basically what I did after I lost that job that I thought was going to be the "big" answer to all my problems....

So this is my promise (or commitment) to MYSELF...I am NOT going to keep letting EE & MM put those small weights on my ankles to keep me from climbing that mountain (I know it's going to be an uphill struggle). It's time to stand up and say Enough of this...lets get going with making my life what I want it to be.

*note..if you are a new reader and don't know who EE & MM is...they are my alter egos Evil Eva and Moaning Mona.

No comments: