Monday, May 22, 2006

So how was your weekend?

Mine was pretty good!!!

I recently signed up with a hiking group on line...it's called funhikes, made up of mostly singles of all ages..this is good because I'm making a conscious effort to get myself out there and meet people, all kinds, not just single men...(that didn't work out too good) and I really like hiking.

This all started when Cathy, one of the gals at the gym(who is divorced and has lost about 50 pounds in the last year) was telling me that she wanted to hike and had found this group but was afraid to try it by herself...so of course I said.."Let's do it"...and I'm glad I did...We had our first Hike Saturday and since Cathy doesn't live far from me so we rode together up to the trail and amazingly we didn't even get lost..LOL.
There was about 45 people that showed up for the hike and it was split into 2 groups... The "Social" hikers and the "Fast" hikers... the Social hikers were taking the short trail 3-4 miles and the Fast hikers were taking the longer/harder trail 6-7 miles...So of course Cathy and I looked at each other and said "FAST Hikers"..(she one of those power walkers and is tall 5'10 with long legs). Our group was the smaller group (15 people) but everyone was interesting...I got to talk to pretty much everyone on the trail (mostly on the inclines when they were passing me)..and we took one break at the middle of the hike. As usual I was the oldest person in our group (OK,there was one guy, John, maybe close to my age, and his dog, Katie and Cathy really liked him, he was nice) and I did pretty good keeping up with everyone except on the hills..I'm still struggling with inclines but I would catch up on the flat or when we went downhill...
Strange thing was that the Fast Hikers finished the hike before the Social Hikers and we did twice the distance.. I found out later that they stopped alot during the hike.. in fact they even got to see a snake..I love snakes... we were moving to fast to see any wildlife...

After the hike the whole group met at LaParella's, a Mexican resturant, and I sat at a table with some of the Social hikers...they were a hoot...Too bad they only go for 1 hike a month..altho one of the other Susan's (there were 4 on this hike) told me about another Singles hiking group that she belongs to and I will be checking it out. I guess this is a big thing in GA since there are so many trail to hike...
Oh yeah, just in case you're wondering..I did good on eating...which really isn't a problem for me, eating out that is, even being an almost Vegetarian.. I can always find something I like..I had a spinach quesadilla (sp?)and water..it filled me up..I just told myself I was there for the company not to see how much I could eat...

Sunday #1 Niece and I went for our run at the new park that we ran at last week...It ended up being about 5 miles..and we cut our time by 5 min compared to last week...There is this one path that we took that goes all the way down to this ravine then you climb bunches of steps back up...good work out for my butt & hamstrings... I can definately feel it in my butt today...not sure if it is from the hike or the run yesterday..maybe the combination of all...I also mowed my lawn last night but for some reason that just doesn't seem to be the work out it used to be...

It did seem strange not to go to the gym at all for two days but I'll be back at it tonight..I hope to get on some machines & do a UBWO and then I've got racquetball...

No comments: