Wednesday, October 05, 2005

Yes, this is ALL about ME!!!

I've come to the conclusion that I have become VERY self centered in the last 2 years..I even named this blog ME, MYSELF & I how self centered is that?.

For the first time in my adult life there is only MYSELF to take care of and to think about. The Kid has her own family, altho I am there for her if she really needs me.. I no longer have a husband or significant other to take care of....so there is only ME...I've taken care of everyone else all my life but haven't done a very good job of taking care of MYSELF, which is apparent when you look back at how I looked and felt 2 years ago... I was way overweight at 235 pounds. I couldn't even walk up a few stairs without having to stop and catch my breath. Couldn't shave my legs because I couldn't bend over that far...I was missing out on soo much in life... I felt like I was 100 years old and moved like it especially first thing in the morning... The Kid used to laugh at my "shuffle" but my knees hurt soo bad that was all I could do. I cut my own hair, badly now that I think about it. Didn't wear make up and should we talk about the old lady clothes I wore... or even worse wearing Lar's shirts (which were 3X). I told myself that it didn't matter what I looked like. I was doing more important things by taking care of Lar. But now I think about how much better I could have been for him if I had only taken care of myself too at the same time... He didn't ask me not take care of myself... It was just an excuse to take the easy way out... any hooo..back to being Self Centered...
It seems like I can't have a conversation with anyone nowadays with out it coming back to ME and my new way of life... I can't seem to quit talking about it... True most of the peoples that I converse with are in the same mind frame as ME , like at the gym and #1 Niece... but then there is The Kid, she is so patient with me... I know that she must get sooo tired of all of our conversation always coming back to ME... I just can't seem to help myself..

I look at MYSELF in the mirror and I see someone who looks healthy and someone who is taking care of herself. I get my hair done regularly, won't think about leaving the house with out mascara and blush. I wear clothes that are flattering to me (at least I think so). When I look in the mirror I can actually see some defination in my shape... love those collar bones and my shoulders and the beginning of a six pack (whoaaaa)... My legs (which I shave all of the time) are getting smaller & firmer ...I have thrown away all of my "Granny Panties" and now wear thongs (yep, I shave there too!! Who'd thunk?) and let's not forget the 4" heels. wooohooo... Not bad for a 55 year old woman...

I can't seem to convince MYSELF that it is wrong for ME to feel this good about MYSELF... Damn I've worked hard in the past 2 years to get where I am today... and I still have lots of work to do to get to TBS...and if I don't think about ME, MYSELF & I who will?

Two things in Kyra's blog today got me to thinking... she is talking about a theory (not hers) about whether we really need to exercise ....
" The proper way to live a healthy life is to only do what is necessary for the life you lead. What this means is, unless you play some sort of sport or something, regular exercise isn't only unnecessary - it is a waste of time. A narcissistic pursuit that is not only wasteful to your own day, but to your productivity and the people your time would be better spent serving (like time with your children or spouse, or even the dog.)"
Now what really jumped out at me in this comment were the words "narcissistic pursuit" ...and I thought to myself... yep that is me!!!! I'm all about how good I look!!! Why the heck not... I was ashamed of how I looked for 30 some years..As for it being "wasteful" well again ... how can something that makes me feel good be considered wasteful? And by exercising that makes me more fit so I can enjoy the time with my family longer...

the second one was "The principle in all of this is to make better use of your time on this planet by not being so self absorbed with your fitness."
I wasn't "self absorbed" in my fitness for 30 some years and look where it got me.. 90 pounds overweight and miserable....

No comments: