Sunday, July 02, 2006

Spot & Rover

Growing up I remember we always had pets...there was always at least one dog (if not more)..lots of cats..we even had a parakeet named Pete for awhile...When The Kid & I moved in with Larry we got her a dog named Charlie, he was a Benji type dog...100% mutt...I think he was really Lar's dog...he loved going everywhere with him in the car...When we moved to Atlanta we brought with us Critter...he was part Bobcat and part barn cat, The Kid & her Grandpa had found him as a kitten at the ranch...there was an assortment of animals from Gerbils to all types of fish while she was growing up...only one I really felt was really mine was a Black Lab that strayed to the house here awhile back...he stayed for over a year and then left (it broke my heart)...at the time of Lar's death we had a black cat named Yoda (the Cat from Hell)..again she was really Lar's cat...loved to be where ever he was...and while he was in the long term hospital my Mom came and stayed at the house to take care of her and my plants... they became great buds..then when Lar died and I took up going to the gym and working I felt that it just wasn't fair to the cat to keep her so I sent her to Wyoming to be with my Mom..they are both happy..and I really didn't miss her...so I've been without a pet for over 2 years now...and I've liked it that way..sure I see puppies or a kitten and think how cool it would be to have a dog to walk/run with or a cat to lay around with when I'm home...but then I think of all the time I'm away....how easy it is for me to just pack up and go away for the weekend...nothing to tie me down....and know it's not fair to the pet. I cannot understand people who have pets and just ignore them after the new wears off...they are a part of the family...

Well, yesterday while at Wally World I ended up in the fish tank part and was looking at the goldfish...and there was this one that just kept coming to the glass and staring at me...he only had a couple of gold spots on him, was mostly white with black spots with these big black eyes...I could tell he hated it there in that tank...so I thought..Now here's a pet that I could deal with..if I get two he won't be lonely and all I'll have to do is feed him once in awhile and clean his bowl...and I have just the bowl for him at home ...Won't that look nice on my glass top coffee table in the living room... and I would have someone to talk to besides my plants WHEN I am home...I won't have to worry about him if I go away for the weekend and if I go for longer I can just pick his bowl up and take it over to #1 Nieces or The Kid's....tooo cool...so I bought Him and a friend...another white gold fish with gold and black spots but has a really pretty tail...fluffy..at first I thought about calling them Gus & Gerturde...but then the Kid reminded me that we had fish named that when she was growing up..then I thought Franki & Johnni but wasn't really happy with that when all of sudden it hit me...Spot & Rover...perfect...they seemed happy with the names too...swam in a big circle and kind of did a lil fish dance...
I've already had a lil conversation with them this morning and they seem to be really happy in their bowl with the really pretty pink plastic anemones plant that looks real and glows in the dark..they can swim in and out of it....
I didn't realize how just another living being would make me feel that much less alone...It give me a warm & fuzzy feeling....
(I think I've finally turned that corner where I really am crazy....LOL)

2 comments:

Kyra said...

I think that's great. Want a duck? How about a chicken?

Lady Sue said...

Hmmmm....a duck huh? let me think about that one...it might be interesting....but Naw I think they are too noisy for me and who wants to be cleaning up Duck Poop everywhere...yech....I think I'll stick to Spot & Rover....but thanks for thinking of me....