Saturday, April 28, 2007

The Date from Hell......

you'd think I'd learn my lesson but NO here I go again...

This is all The Kids fault ......This morning The Kid and I were talking on the phone about how negative and down I've been lately and I jokedly remarked that maybe I needed to go out on a date (and other things I can't mention here but use your imagination if you want...) because I've been in such a funk....

So I'm at work...we have doing presales in the parking area of the gym under a tent for the past 2 weeks and I've been talking to some of the guys on the construction site....anyway...one of the guys that I've been smiling at drove up. He seemed nice enuff...told me he was 50 yrs old, never been married and is looking for that love of his life....I know, I know the warning bells should have gone off right then and there and I should have quickly taken my self away from the area (like running fast in the opposite direction) but NOOOOO not me...when he asked me if I had any plans for tonight after work I foolishly told him no (remembering the conversation from this morning with The Kid)..so we made a date for dinner...

We ended up meeting at TGIF which is close to the presale center after 7 pm. He got there before me and I met him out front (he was smoking a cig..yech..but I figured It was just dinner so I would ignore it for now)...he's not bad looking...6'4" weighs about 200, has blond sandy colored short hair ( at least he had hair)...Nice teeth..(I learned he gets them cleaned once a week?) He had already gave his name for a table and had been told it would be at least 20 mins...so we decided to sit at the bar and have a drink (wine for me....iced tea for him because he's a recovering alcoholic who has found God)..I knew I was in trouble right away....this is me...the Agnostic!!!!
(Remember I'm blaming this ALL on The Kid and the conversation we had early this morning).

While at the bar a couple of guys I know from the gym I go to came in and we talked about if I was going to do the P'tree Race this year (which I'm not...I haven't been doing any races this year ....that just goes to show how much of a funk I'm in)...he seemed alright about it but did make the comment that he lets his women do whatever they want..(what does that mean?)

When my friends got called to their table, I mentioned to him that we had been waiting quite some time and that we had come in before my freinds..so he went to check how much longer it would take...found out that they had called his name but he hadn't told them we would be in the bar area..any way it only took a little while longer before we were seated at a table...

I went to read the menu when I realized I had dropped my eyeglass case at the bar (yes, I wear reading glasses..it comes with old age..lol) so I went back to the bar to find them...the bartender was wondering where we had gone since my date hadn't settled the bar bill (they do them separate from the meal) so i took the bill to him and asked that he pay it.. He proceeded to pull money out of his wallet and handed it to me and said "Sweetie (for some reason he kept calling me this all night...whoooaaaa) please take this to them because I don't want to go past that girl who didn't call us for our table when she should have"...OK...no big deal....I went and paid the bill....and came back...

I opened the menu and he tells me I can order anything I want (as if I wouldn't anyway) and that he thought he would order the steak & shrimp....sooo when the waitress comes and asks if we are ready I tell her yes and and proceeded to order the Mahi Mahi..she turns to my date and he says to me "Sweetie tell her what I want".....What the Hell? I just looked at him like he's crazy....and shook my head...luckily the waitress figured out just what he wanted..I think...he didn't want mashed potatoes because his "granny" made him eat them when he was young...so he finally settled on french fries (since they don't have baked potatoes)...

Meanwhile our conversation all night...not once does he ever ask me anything about myself but proceeds to tell me how great he is and how he has LOTS of monies...owns a place in FL and here in northern GA (but he's staying at a motel right now)...how he's work in Washington DC at the White House and etc..etc...etc....I think my eyes actually crossed...and I was having problems trying to hide my yawns....at one time he actually told me that when he saw me use the porta potty at the construction site one day he wanted to get me my own porta potty away from all the other ones....I told him I had no problem using the porta potties because I'm used to roughing it when I go backpacking and when I run races...I don't think he even heard me....


Finally dinner was done and I excused myself to go to the ladies room....while there I was trying to figure out who to call so they could call me and get me out of this date from hell....you know the signal...you have to leave now thing....but I decided that was the thing we only did when we were young and that I'm an adult now so I should act like one not like some teenager..sOOOOO


I get back to the table and I'll be damned if his phone didn't ring and a friend was at a bar and needed a ride Right away.....(good thing I didn't waste my time setting up the signal since he obviously had the same idea..TOOOO FuNNNY). OH Yeah.....just before I went to the ladies room I had told him that I liked living by myself and wasn't looking for someone to take care of me....hmmmmm ...

He did walk me out to my truck but no mention of another date was made (THANK GOD)...and the last I saw of him was him driving away in his van....I really don't think I have to worry seeing him at the site...I figure he'll run the other way....OH WELLL....

Do you think my prince is really out there? All I seem to be finding is the frogs!!!!

1 comment:

Beth Currie said...

OMG!! Date from hell!!!

I think a frog would have been better company :-)

(just found your blog from your Colleen's!)