Friday, December 16, 2005

It's starting to feel like Christmas

I have all my shopping done...all the presents bought for the kids, my packages shipped out to Wyoming and Colorado and I even did Christmas Cards with a news letter this year... Quick let me take my tempature...I must be sick....LOL.

I had a rough patch there for awhile but I am sooo much better now...hopefully that will be it for this year...I know I will always grieve for Larry but I just hate how it makes me feel...I know he wouldn't want me to be unhappy sooo here I am back to my old self...

I love buying gifts for people... I am the queen of dumb gifts... I get it from my Mom...she always tried so hard to give us a good Christmas but having very little monies and four kids she always ended up buying us the dumbest (cheapest)gifts.... I think back now and realize that I do the same thing...The other thing I remember about Christmastime as a kid is that was the only time we ever got Fudge, Christmas cookies and mincemeat pies (Mom & I are the only ones that liked mincemeat pie). to this day I still associate Christmas with Fudge. I think "the Kid" does too since she says she wants her p'butter fudge that I used to make for her..Altho I've been tempted...Sorry, it's not going to happen...I know what would happen, I would end up eating way to much of it before I even got it to her...I love cleaning out the pan and licking the spoon...I have no will power when it comes to Fudge...

I want to start new traditions that do not include food...
Singing... don't we all associate this time of the year with Singing Christmas Carols? I grew up with music...my Mom played guitar & sang all of the time, but I always loved listening to choirs, even used to sing in the Church choir when young.. something about that music always puts you in the mood... I can't carry a tune to this day but I do love singing along with the radio when no one can hear me...LOL..
Every Christmas Eve I think I will get the kids to sing Christmas carols but so far we haven't done too much... Who knows maybe this year will be the year.

One tradition I've tried to start since the Grandkids were old enough to understand is to have someone read the story of Jesus's birth on Christmas Eve when we are all at my house. Although I'm agnostic I do believe that if we are going to celebrate the day then we need to know why we are celebrating... and it is a beautiful story. This year I have asked my 7 yr old Grandson to read it, I'm hoping it will be something special for him and not just a chore...I gave the book to his Mom "the Kid" so he could learn any words he didn't know before hand.

I always make these big plans before and it never comes off the way I plan it but that's okay too because it's still fun to watch the little ones enjoy themselves.

3 comments:

PartTimeMom said...

sounds like a great Christmas. I'm working to try to build new traditions in my family too - although I have to admit I'm saving the 'foodie' traditions too ;)

You're doing great to find other things to focus on!

Anonymous said...

New traditions.... I think it is wonderful to do for the grandkids and yourself.

PartTimeMom said...

BTW - I have family in Wyoming too.

(My mom, brothers and sister)