Wednesday, December 21, 2005

Christmas Eve Dinner

I finally came up with the menu for Christmas Eve... Man is this hard for me since there will be nothing with tofu in it...
I keep remembering past Christmas's where I had so much food that Lar and I ate left overs for a week after... Don't want that to happen so am trying to curb myself and not get crazy and overdoing it....I'm just afraid once I start that there will be no stopping me...
At first I thought about finger foods...Chick-fil-le chicken bites (not that I have ever had them) then the "Kid" told me they are deep fried...Oh my Gawd..no way is that coming into my house.
I've been looking at recipes trying to make up my mind what type of foods to serve...then this morning it hit me, I'm kind of in the mood for Traditional...I was thinking ham might be good but then after talking with #1 Niece, who told me that they have Ham at the mother in laws on Christmas, decided against it, besides I really can't see me eating ham...I thought I would check out the Honey Baked Ham web site anyway and see what else they had and LO & BEHOLD there it was .... my favorite...Honey Baked Smoked Turkey Breast... Wow like I would eat that in a flash...my mouth is watering like crazy just thinking about it...so I ordered one before I could change my mind...so that's a start at least...
Looking at the recipes on the Kraft web site I saw an appetizer that I want to try with cresent rolls, cream cheese, pesto sauce & sun dried tomato..served with crackers & fresh veggies... so there are two things that I will eat...
Then I realized that I didn't get any cranberry sauce at Thanksgiving so add that to my list...
For salad I'm going to have my favorite Spinach,strawberries,walnut & crumbled blue cheese...already spoke to the "Kid" to see if she would bring Blue Cheese Dressing since I know her family doesn't like vingerettes, which is the only kind of dressing I have..and if I went to the store to buy some I know I wouldn't be able to make myself buy any except the low fat and that's not what they want...good plan Sue!!!
Let's see what else would go good with this menue... I could make my old stand by Sweet Potato's & apples...have to be careful not to make anything "weird" as my son-in-law says...altho I did see a recipe for roasted veggies that I really wanted to try but since it has sweet potato, parsnips & red onion in it, it would probably be considered "weird" maybe I'll fix it for myself...
Now all I have to figure out now is a dessert....maybe something with pumpkin...boy is this ever turning out very tradional...oh well...at least I'm actually serving food this year, better than I did last year...
Now the only thing I have to figure out is where everyone is going to sit since I got rid of my bigger dining room table for a nice small one and I really don't want people eating in my living room on my coffee tables...I do have a card table I set up for the kids but the 8 adults could be a problem...oh well it'll all work itself out one way or the other...I wonder if I can serve this on paper plates...don't want to end up with a lot of dirty dishes...LOL
Dang I'm getting excited..and I think with this menu I won't be soo focused on food that I go off plan too much...
So far lately I haven't lost any pounds but my clothes seem to be fitting better..don't want to get to crazy between now & New Years since I am going to wear my new dress out up in SC...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're going traditional because you know that will make the Son-in-Law happy.... I know. Hey, I'm just happy that we get to eat this year!

PartTimeMom said...

Not that I should deside for you but... we are having

http://thanksgiving.allrecipes.com/az/MapleRoastTurkeyGravy.asp

and

http://christmas.allrecipes.com/az/HmwithPinppl.asp

http://bread.allrecipes.com/az/FrnchBrdRllstDiFr.asp

http://soup.allrecipes.com/az/PumpkinSausageSoup.asp

http://thanksgiving.allrecipes.com/az/CranberrySauceExtraordinaire.asp

http://thanksgiving.allrecipes.com/az/DyBfrMshdPtts.asp

http://thanksgiving.allrecipes.com/az/AwesomeSausageAppleandDrie.asp

and pies of course

any left overs (except turkey which is BFL friendly) get sent home with out guests.

I know your dinner is going to turn out fantastic. How can it not you'll have your family around you!

Lady Sue said...

Thanks Shawn, I would spend all my time looking at recipes on the computer if I could...I always see so many that I would love to try and print the recipe out to add to my collection...Love getting new sites to look at..
BTW your meal sounds great, maybe I'll just send my family to your place...teeheheheh