Monday, May 07, 2007

Did you know's

One of the things we are told to do in my job is to inject at least 3 "did you know's" into the conversation with a prospect while give a tour of the gym...this is to show that we are knowledgable about exercise & health....
Now I know all this...but am having problems slipping in the "did you knows" without sounding like an idiot...I've been given no less than 12 pages of "did you knows" to pick from...most of them repeat the same thing but I am working with them to get at least 12 "did you knows" that I can comfortably slip into a conversation...I figure if I practice them enuff it will eventually come easy to me...(one can always hope)
Here's what I've come up with so far (in no particular order)

DID YOU KNOW

that for every 6 pounds you lose, you lose 1 inch of f your waist (this is my favorite and I have used it several times, but it doesn't work too good when you are talking with a skinny person who only wants to tone up) (oh yeah...I know this one is true cause I figured it out from my weight loss and it worked out exactly...too coool!)

muscle is denser than fat..so altho you may not lose pounds while strength training you will lose inches and look thinner...

muscle burns more calories than fat...1 pound of lean muscle will burn 50 calories a day..(I'll take more muscle anyday)

it takes more than 8 hrs for a body to break down carbs. (Not sure what they are trying to say here...maybe eat less carbs...don't know if I'll use this one or not...besides the fact that I haven't been able to figure out how to slip it into a conversation yet)

Waiting for more than 4-5 hrs between meals will cause your blood sugar to bottom out. Leaving you weak, irritable & tired..

Sustained exercise increases your metabolic rate, so that you burn more calories not only during exercise but for several hours after you've stopped.

A study showed that in the course of a year of regular exercisers experience 25% fewer common colds than nonexercisers..

Proper exercise can & will improve your overall posture...

(for the guys) regular exercise can increase your sexual stamina, performance & desire...(I haven't used this one yet...waiting for the right moment...teehheheheh)

women who exercise regularly are 3 times less likely to suffer from depression..

resistance training will increase your body density & strength.

NOT GETTING ENUFF REST CAN HINDER FAT LOSS (I can attest to this one personally)

That's 12 but truthfully..I can only see myself using maybe a couple of them

here are a couple more that I think might work for me better (some of them come from blogs I've read)

Women will not "bulk up" with regular strength training without using steriods...

doing a 5 -10 min warm up doing cardio before will increase your muscle & joint flexibility.

properly stretching before strength training is recommended..improper stretching can cause muscle soreness & injury..

Exercise needs to be varied constantly or your body will adapt to the same movements and you will plateau

Intensity is more important than the number of sets when trying to get bigger & stronger..

you need to commit to working out at least 3 times a week...

****************

I start working regular? hours today..no more of this pushing myself to work 10-12 hrs a day with out a break....I have to take care of myself...altho my hours are not the normal 9-5 hrs (i'll be working 3pm - midnight, taking off Thurs & Fri)..I should be able to adjust and get a real life...the only thing I'm having a problem with is figuring out when to work out...I was thinking I could go to the gym in the morning and get a good work out but with the gas prices going up so high not sure I will be able to afford two hour trips a day...I'm thinking of going in a couple of hours early (say around noon) work out and then take a shower at the gym and get ready there...hey I'll aready be at work...not sure how this will work...I'm hoping to get some racquetball in with my partner on Thurs, Fri & Sat (at the old gym)...

The party last night was nice..I stuck to drinking only water and got home early (around 10:30 pm)..it wasn't the wild party that I've been doing lately but it was nice to sit around and visit with people who have the same interests that I do.. there wasn't as many people as I thought there would be. I felt bad for Don & Tuyet but they didn't seem to be bothered about it...They are such a nice couple..they met on a back packing trip a couple of years ago...in fact the first backpacking trip I did last fall was the Panthertown trip and they were on it (it was their one year anniversary trip)...I've been on a couple of trips with them and they have always been fun...i will miss them...but they are planning on having us all to Hawaii for a backpacking trip...this is one I won't miss...even if I have to put the whole trip on a credit card...
Oh yeah...one of the things we did last night was make our own sushi....it was interesting and there were lots of differant things to make them with.(mangos, smoked salmon, crab meat, avocados, celery, pickled ginger, lobster pieces..just to name a few)...so after we rolled our own and sliced them...we got to sample everyones....yummmy....it was fun...there was alot of Hawaiian foods there...I sampled a couple but didn't overdue it...can't remember the names of anything I tried..but the dessert was good...it was a coconut custard topped with strawberries.

I feel pretty good today...ready to get out there and show the world what I'm made out of....

No comments: